Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Be Still

Psalm 46:10 - "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth."

This year, I've been asking God to help me get past all the stuff of Christmas so that I could get to the heart of Christmas, which is His heart. When I started praying about this, the phrase that kept running through my mind is, "Be still" which led me to this verse. I looked up some of the words of this verse to see what it really means to be still.

The Hebrew word for "still" is "raphah". It means "to slacken: abate, cease, forsake, idle, leave, let alone, be still". Pretty self-explanatory, but what I found very interesting is that it is the exact same word for healing. That entry's definition is "to mend, to cure, to heal, make whole".

The Hebrew word for "know" is "yada". It means to acknowledge, discern, discover, the list of words for this word go on and on.

The word for "God" is "Elohiym", which means the Supreme God.

That is what God wants from us at Christmas, to acknowledge that He is the Supreme God. Because until we really get that, we cannot fully understand and appreciate the miraculous gift of Emmanuel - God with us. We cannot fathom the wonder of Mary, Joseph, the shepherds, and the wise men they felt when looking into the eyes of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords in tiny human form. This Supreme God stepped out of the glory of Heaven, laid aside His privileges as God, and became a man so that He could be with us in every sense of the word, and ultimately to die for us. The Supreme God chose to suffer and die on the cross for all mankind, and because He is the Supreme God, He conquered sin and death once and for all. That is what God wants from us and wants for us this Christmas, to be still and know that He is God - and everything that implies. Hallelujah! Emmanuel!!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Great thoughts! I especially love the part about the same word for "still" being the word for "heal".
When hurting, it is so easy to go faster and faster to take my mind off of it, to become numb and too busy to think. But that is the opposite of healing.
Thanks for the perspective!

Jennifer said...

Exactly! I wanted to go into that, but didn't want to get side-tracked from the point I was trying to make. Maybe it's supposed to be another topic for another day. Speaking of healing, though, how's your shoulder? Thanks for the comment!

Samantha said...

I agree! God wants us to be still and KNOW He is God and yes, that means so much! May we all thank God this Christmas for sending His Son to die so we can be forgiven! Happy Birthday Jesus!

Rachel said...

I just got back here. My shoulder has been much better the last couple of weeks! Thanks for asking!! I'm hoping it was just a temporary issue. . .