Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Socks and a Playhouse

It's neat how God provides for His children when we let Him. I have been needing some new socks for quite a while. Almost every pair of my plain white socks had a hole in them. (When I was little, socks with holes in them were a treasured thing. I called them "Grandpa socks" because whenever my beloved grandpa took off his cowboy boots, he would have a hole in each sock. "So his toes could breath" he said.) Even Preston kept telling me to go buy some socks. But there were always more important things for us to spend our money on, and we are trying to be better stewards of our money by not spending it on things we don't actually need right this minute. Sure, my socks were a bit holey, but they were still basically doing their job. So, I didn't think that much about it.

Meanwhile, I am meeting a friend of mine twice a week to work out. We are working out to "Dance Praise", which is so much fun. I've never had so much fun exercising in my life! (Of course, doing anything with Meredith makes it more fun. It's just the kind of person she is.) In order to use the mats that we "dance" on, we have to be in our sock feet. We've been doing this for about 3-4 weeks now. Last Thursday, when I got to her house, she said, "I have a surprise for you!" And handed me a pack of brand new socks! I laughed so hard! No one has ever gifted me socks before! She said she saw them and just thought of me. (more likely she noticed my holey socks and felt sorry for me. Ha ha.)


So God provided socks for me. And not just any socks, but the best, comfiest socks I have ever owned! They are Hanes Sport socks with arch support. I now come home and put them on instead of my slippers. You may be thinking, "Why would God care about your socks?" My answer is because He knows the number of hairs on my head, and yours, and He cares about every detail of our lives. He knew that it would increase my faith. It was like He was saying, "See, Jennifer? If I care enough to provide you with something as small as new socks - in a way that you didn't even consider- how much more will I provide for the things you and your family really need?"

As if that wasn't enough, God also provided a fun thing for the boys. We have a couple of friends who have those big, plastic, play houses in their yards, and whenever we visit any of those friends, the boys spend most of their time in the playhouse. That took me by surprise because I thought it would be too girly to interest them. Of course, they don't sit in them and have a tea party or anything, but instead play typical boy stuff (pretend it's the fire or police station, act like there's a big storm coming and shake the house by banging on the walls, Harris enjoys climbing on the roof and pretending he's a giant, etc). So for a while now, I have been on the lookout for a used playhouse for our back yard. They have had several at Kid's Market, but they have always been a bit outside my price range. Well, a friend of mine moved last week, and they decided to sell their playhouse instead of trying to move it. She was asking a very good price for it, so I discussed it with Preston and we decided to buy it. However, the next time I see her, she tells me to just come get it and not worry about the money. I asked what she meant by that, just to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding what she was saying, and she said she felt like she was supposed to give it to us!

So, God provided me with something I sort of needed but wasn't too concerned about, and something fun for my kids all within the same week! Isn't He good? God is a loving Father who gives good gifts to His children - the best gift of course was the gift of salvation through His Son's death on the Cross. Praise the Lord!

2 comments:

Poet4Him77 said...

Just for the record, once and for all, I love socks and figured if new socks brought me so much joy, wouldn't they for you as well? I also figured it was one of those items you wouldn't purchase for yourself. So there you go. Not because you had "holy" feet... merely a "just because" kind of gift!

Jennifer said...

Ha ha! I know, I know. It just easier to me to explain it this way.