Friday, February 20, 2009

Being Content

Phil. 4:11b - "for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."
Don't you just love it when God so wants you to "get" something He's teaching you that He surrounds you with that one message? Well, this has been my lesson the last couple of weeks. All week last week, He kept having this verse run through my mind everytime I got aggravated with life's circumstances, and then in Sunday School, the teacher taught from this verse AND then Pastor Harry used it in his sermon! The funny thing is, I thought this was a lesson I had already learned. When big, bad, scary things happen, I know how to keep my eyes on God; I've experienced His peace that passes understanding. However, it's in the day to day that I struggle with this. I'm all about praising God when things are going great, but the minute things get difficult or stressful, I am often too quick to start complaining, and it is impossible to praise God about anything while you're complaining about something. God doesn't want a fair-weather worshipper. He wants a true worshipper - one who worships in spirit and in truth. If I truly believe God's promises for me, then I should be able to look beyond any temporary difficulty, small or large, to see God's hand using it for my good and His glory. In fact, Paul goes on to say in this passage - "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation....I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." (Phil. 4:12b, 13).

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Great post, Jennifer! You're right - sometimes it's so much easier to have the right attitude in the face of huge issues than the little ones.

RDJones said...

I know it's strange, but I am quite backwards. Its the hard times in life where I feel the closest and most content in the Lord and it is the best of times or just average times when I am quick to be distracted by lesser things of the world.

The Lord is so good to surround us and keep at us until we GET IT!

Thanks for the post.
Very encouraging.