Friday, August 22, 2008

Kindergarten Orientation and the First Day of School!

So yesterday was Kindergarten orientation day! We have been SO excited about this day! Harris has been ready to start school since he was three. (Takes after his mommy. I was the nerdy kid who loved school - at least most of the time.) My mom came and stayed with the two little ones, so it was just Harris, daddy, and mommy. He rarely gets us all to himself, so that alone was a treat! At orientation, we learned who Harris' teacher would be - Mrs. Cvacho, who seems very sweet. Our first impressions of her are wonderful! She took the students and parents to her classroom (which happened to be the same classroom I had in Kindergarten!), where she gave instructions and helpful info to the parents while the kids had a snack and colored a picture. Then there were a lot of things to sign up for and forms to fill out. (Now, I'm kinda nerdy and LOVE filling out forms, but it was a bit much even for me. However, I was sitting in the back of a very crowded room filled with excited kids and anxious parents, which made it less than ideal.) Before we knew it, it was time to go home. Harris was a little disappointed that it was over so soon. I assured him that the next day would last longer.

One thing I was a little nervous about was the fact that we didn't know any of the kids or parents. I knew I would get to know them over the course of the year, but it would have been nice to have started out knowing at least one person. But God arranged a meeting that only He could have. After we left the school, we took Harris to Chik-Fil-A for lunch. Another vehicle pulled into the parking lot as we did, and out came two girls not just from Kindergarten, but from Harris' class! Both of the girls moms were with them. We sat next to them and over the course of the conversation, I found out that one of the moms grew up in Bessemer, like me, and now lives in McCalla, like my brother. The other mom uses the same doctor for her OB/GYN as I do! How cool is that?! Harris and the 2 girls had a little bit harder time hitting it off, but they warmed up to each other by the end of lunch.



Today was the potentially hard day. The day I would have to leave Harris at school. I wasn't worried about him, but I wasn't sure I would be able to just drop him off and drive away without getting emotional. Harris bounded out of the car, and into the capable care of the teachers who were working the carpool line, and I drove off. My heart was pounding, but I didn't break down. Instead of going home and dwelling on my baby being in school, I ran errands with David and Amy Beth. Did you know that there are no crowds at Wal-Mart at 8:30 in the morning, and none at the Galleria at 10 am? It was awesome! I could get used to that. Before I knew it, it was time to pick up Harris. He came bounding out of the building with a huge smile on his face. One of the carpool teachers said, "I think Harris had a GREAT first day today!" Over lunch, he told me all about the day. His favorite part was playing on the playground. His second favorite part was going on a tour of the whole school building - especially the library!! He made some new friends, enjoyed the snack I had packed for him, and he likes his teacher. You just can't ask for a better first day! Praise the Lord!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Sounds like a great day!! I'm glad it went well for him and he likes school so much! That is kind of strange that you didn't know anyone in his class, but I'm sure it won't take long!

Poet4Him77 said...

I'm so glad you both had a great first day! You'll be an old pro by the time Amy Beth starts!